Thursday, September 11, 2008

Running with Characters

Despite being undertrained and undermotived I managed to wake up at 4:45am on August 31 to run the Disneyland Half Marathon with 10,800 other people. After a quick breakfast and some stretching I headed to the "Magic Kingdom". It took about 20 minutes to park since everyone was trying to arrive in time for the 6am start. I arrived at the starting line just in time. Surrounded by people of various ages, sizes, and shapes, my goal was to finish under 3 hours although I had finished my previous two races in 2hrs 20min.

A good number of the runners were predicatably dressed up as various Disney characters. Ever see Mickey run 13.1 miles before? I'm not much of a Disney fan so running through Disneyland didn't do much for me but after running through the city streets and around the Honda Center we finally got to run around The Big A at Angel's stadium.

Its hard to explain how much it helps to run with other people. I usually run alone so being surrounded by thousands of other people helped me to keep going and going and going even while my mind and body are making great arguments for stopping.

Not being prepared to run 13 miles can cause injuries so I needed to walk the line of being smart but also pushing it. I walked 3 separate times during the race for a total of 1.5 miles. At mile eleven I told myself I was going to run the last 2.1 miles. I was determined but at miles 12 my body was wasn't. Although we were back at Disneyland I was far from the "happiest place on earth".

The crowd of spectators thickened - a sure sign that the end was near. I started to run so slow I wondered if walking would really make much of a difference. But it wasn't about time it was about running, running till the end. The last 1/10 of a mile wouldn't end. Finally I saw the finish line and ran as fast as my body would let me. 2 hours and 33 minutes. I couldn't believe it.

Running isn't about winning. In fact, I came in 5,556th place. It was the slowest of my 3 half marathons but I had to work harder for each of these 13 miles than the others. I ceremoniously hung the bib and finisher's medal on my bulletin board in my office, took a bath in ice and celebrated a couple of Masses.

Here is a link with some more pictures of the race: http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=31324&BIB=2996&S=230&PWD=

Here is a link to a funny commercial for Nike. This is NOT why I run. I promise!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkDI5xVa354




Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race, but only one wins the prize? Run so as to win. Every athlete exercises discipline in every way. They do it to win a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one. Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified. (1 Cor 9:24-27)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool,the happiest run on earth, keep running....

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on passing the finish line! Well done!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for going the extra mile to provide the fullness of our Catholic Faith and Sacraments to these families. alba