Thursday, October 9, 2008

Babies, Freedom, and Guitars


Baptisms
Baptisms are always a pleasure. Although the ritual is the same, each child and each family makes it a new experience. Jesus gives new life - His life - to these precious children and to the parent(s) he gives what they need to care for them. Sometimes I seem to have a special touch with these infants. After the baptisms I take pictures with the families and their newly baptized children. Its amazing how a cheerful baby can turn so mad so quickly the instant they're given to me to hold. The moment I hand him/her back to mom or dad peace reigns again. Here are pictures of baby Brian. (Brian and I got along just fine)








----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Premature and Precious
My friend Dave and his wife had their first baby recently. Alyssa was born 2 months premature. She was healthy but at 3 pounds she was quite fragile as well. Dave and I were great friends in High School but we lost touch a few years later. Its seems Alyssa brought us together again with a little help from Google. I headed over to the hospital on my day off and met Alyssa and her happy but nervous mom. We spent about an hour together and I took great pleasure in holding this 3 pound wonder as she would open her eyes and look at me and make funny faces at me. Meet Alyssa.








(Click to enlarge)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Barber Philosopher

As I sat in the chair at Super Cuts to get my monthly 2" on the side, 7" on the top hair cut the Vietnamese barber started the small talk. In her thick accent she asked "do you have kids?". "No" I said. She responded all too joyfully "Oh you lucky". Then she followed up with "Are you married?". Again, I said "No". Well, it sounded like I made her day as she said "Oh you really lucky, you have lots of freedom". I returned a courteous laugh.

How odd! I understand what she meant but what a selfish life that would be: to not get married or have children so that I could be "free". What else is freedom for than to give your life to someone. "Whoever wishes to save his life will loose it."MT 16:25a

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Priest and Guitar Hero

We recently had our parish La Fiesta, a one-day event. 2 years ago I sat in the dunk booth as our innocent Catholic school children lined up in droves to dunk me. This year proved to be more merciful. There was a booth set up with Guitar Hero and I had been signed up together with our Deacon to test my Guitar Skills against children who were born with it in their hands.

I underwent 3 weeks of self-training. The training wasn't as intense as Rocky Balboa's but I was determined to put on a show. We had a lot of fun. Many passed by the booth in amazement as they saw their parish priest rockin' out to Pat Benatar.

A priest wears many hats. Today I add Guitar Hero to the list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From what I heard, after La Fiesta, Guitar Hero you are! You don't seem to me like the one-dimentional type. You do wear many hats and I must admit, you wear them all quite well even those "red" ones...alba